AKWOS, Organisation of Kigali Women in Sports
- Headquarters address: Kigali.
- Type: NGO.
- Place of intervention: Rwanda.
- Contact: Felicite Rwemarika / Richard Mugisha
- Website: https://akwosrwanda.org/
- Background: AKWOS is an organization based in Rwanda, created by Félicité Rwemarika (IOC member), following the Rwandan genocide of 1994. The organization aims to remove the stereotypes that prevent women from participating in sports, particularly through soccer. AKWOS has become a platform for social change to address issues of gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s economic inclusion in Rwanda.
- Objective: AKWOS mission is “to empower East-African Women, starting from Rwanda, through sports and education”.
– Good health and well-being (SDG 3)
– Quality education (SDG 4)
– Gender equality (SDG 5)
– Partnerships for the goals (SDG 17)
- Specific objectives: To promote women’s sport in Rwanda; to raise women’s awareness of sports activities; to assist Rwandan women in the promotion of their rights; to use sports as a tool; to monitor and evaluate women project activities.
- Number of coordinators / educators: 20 educators trained by Peace and Sport.
- Sport practiced: football.
- Calendar of activities:
October 2020 / March 2021
Initiation of the project
Finalization of the project
Contract between Peace and Sport and AKWOS
March / July 2021
March: Validation of the contract and appendix
April: April6 + #WhiteCard Campaign
May: Launch of the program + training in the Peace and Sport methodology and the Mobile Application
June/ July: monitoring and evaluation once a month
July / December 2021
Follow-up of the project
Improvement of the content