- Headquarters address: Kigali.
- Type: NGO.
- Place of intervention: Rwanda.
- Contact: Felicite Rwemarika / Neema Icyishatse
- Website: Akwos Rwanda
Background: AKWOS is an organization based in Rwanda, created by Félicite Rwemarika (IOC member), following the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda. The organization aims to remove the stereotypes that prevent women from participating in sports, particularly through soccer. AKWOS has become a platform for social change to address issues of gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s economic inclusion in Rwanda.
- Objective: AKWOS mission is “to empower East-African Women, starting from Rwanda, through sports and education”.
– Good health and well-being (SDG 3)
– Quality education (SDG 4)
– Gender equality (SDG 5)
– Partnerships for the goals (SDG 17)
- Specific objectives: To promote women’s sport in Rwanda; to raise women’s awareness of sports activities; to assist Rwandan women in the promotion of their rights; to use sports as a tool; to monitor and evaluate women project activities.