- Headquarters address: Kigali.
- Type: NGO.
- Place of intervention: Rwanda.
- Contact: Felicite Rwemarika / Richard Mugisha
- Website: https://akwosrwanda.org/
- Background: AKWOS is an organization based in Rwanda, created by Félicité Rwemarika (IOC member), following the Rwandan genocide of 1994. The organization aims to remove the stereotypes that prevent women from participating in sports, particularly through soccer. AKWOS has become a platform for social change to address issues of gender equality, women’s empowerment and women’s economic inclusion in Rwanda.
- Objective: AKWOS mission is “to empower East-African Women, starting from Rwanda, through sports and education”.
– Good health and well-being (SDG 3)
– Quality education (SDG 4)
– Gender equality (SDG 5)
– Partnerships for the goals (SDG 17)
- Specific objectives: To promote women’s sport in Rwanda; to raise women’s awareness of sports activities; to assist Rwandan women in the promotion of their rights; to use sports as a tool; to monitor and evaluate women project activities.