Peace and Sport Awards 2021: Rudy Gobert appointed “Champion for Peace of the Year” and 4 outstanding peace through sport initiatives rewarded!
Last week, 5 initiatives have been rewarded during a digital edition of the Peace and Sport Awards 2021. From specific field programs to global initiatives, these initiatives have highlighted the unique power of sport to unite people and create dialogue beyond political, religious or ethnic differences during challenging times.
- The Portuguese Institute of Sport and the Sports and Youth Secretary of State won the « Institution of the Year » Award for the National Plan for Ethics in Sport (NPES).
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies received the NGO of the Year Award for the “Uniting through the power of football” project implemented in partnership with Generation Amazing Qatar 2022.
- The World Rafting Federation won the highest number of votes on our platform for the « April6 Initiative of the Year » Award for the digital awareness campaign « Be white water ».
- The peace animators of the NGO Cop Colombia Internacional were rewarded with the « Special Jury Prize » for their essential role in promoting peace through the practice of soccer in Usme, in the south of Bogota.
- And finally, Utah Jazz and France team basketball player Rudy Gobert was appointed « Champion for Peace of the Year » for his social commitment through his foundation, Rudy’s Kids.
Peace and Sport Awards’ mission was to provide a platform for stakeholders on sport for development and peace to connect and to generate more cooperation for the development of peace through sport programs.
Joël Bouzou, President and Founder of Peace and Sport, declared:
« Over the last week, we have witnessed the power of the peace-through-sport movement worldwide. As President and Founder of Peace and Sport, I would like to address my warmest congratulations to our new Champion for Peace of the Year, Rudy Gobert, for his commitment towards vulnerable children through his foundation, Rudy’s Kids. Congratulations also to all the winners and all the nominees for their extremely valuable work in the field. See you next year for more inspiring peace through sport initiatives, and best practices to be duplicated! »
Peace and Sport would like to extend a special thanks to all the Jury members – Olympic Champion Mutaz Barshim, the first captain of the Palestine football team Honey Thaljieh, the triple Karate World Champion Laurence Fischer, flag bearer of the French delegation in Tokyo Samir Aït Said, and Olympic athletics medalist Charmaine Crooks – and to the partners of the 2021 edition – Arena Group Monaco, Société Monégasque de Transports (SMT), Synergie Technologies, Gouvernement de Monaco, Mairie de Monaco, MyCoach, Kick Off Prod, Eleven Campaign, Monaco Info, Women Sports Africa, Monaco Tribune.