The Second Peace and Sport International Forum: Peace through Sport Becomes a Reality
The 2nd Peace and Sport International Forum took place in Monaco from 3 – 5 December 2008.
It brought together 330 participants:
- 53 nations represented
- 35 Heads of State, Prime Ministers or Ministers of Sports, from 5 continents
- 30 members of the International Olympic Committee
- 30 International Federations and as many National Olympic committees
- 20 major Non-Governmental Organisations
- 40 speakers
Highlights of Forum 2008 :
- The first “Peace and Sport Image of the Year Award” depicting the historic handshake between Turkish President Abdullah Gül and Armenian President Serge Sarkissian on 6 September 2008 during the qualifying match for the World Cup between Turkey and Armenia. The award was presented to their representatives by HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco and Joël Bouzou, President and Founder of Peace and Sport.
- The moving testimony of Sammy, an 11-year-old Palestinian boy and Shoval, a 14-year-old Israeli boy, who found friendship and understanding through football and basketball, proving that political differences cannot prevent the power of sport to unite opposing peoples through the rules or sport.
- The unusual appointment of a leading football club as an International Ambassador to Peace and Sport, AS MONACO FOOTBALL CLUB, whose players are now linked to Peace and Sport’s field activities. Other well-known sports personalities were also appointed, symbols of unity and of the complementary forces united around this cause: Wilfried Lemke, Special Adviser to the Secretary General of the United Nations on Sport for Development and Peace, and Sir Philip Craven MBE, Member of the International Olympic Committee and President of the International Paralympic Committee.