ING New York City Marathon: join Team Peace and Sport!
For the third year running, Peace and Sport will participate in the ING New York City Marathon on November 3, 2013 as an official charity.
Since our first participation in 2011, the runners from Team Peace and Sport raised more than $100,000.00 for our projects on the field.
These funds were used to implement Peace through Sport projects in Haiti, East Timor, Republic of Congo, Burundi, Colombia, Kenya, Ivory Coast and Israel-Palestine.
Why run for Peace and Sport?
Because like us you believe that sport is a vehicle for peace and rapprochement between nations, communities and individuals.
Because sport conveys values of respect, sharing and dialogue that foster the social reinsertion of young people in difficulty,
Because the money received is used to build or renovate sports facilities, purchase equipment, train educators and organize events: concrete actions that make an immediate impact in the field.
Find out below our complete program and how you can join Team Peace and Sport!
A neutral and apolitical organization based in Monaco, Peace and Sport is a global initiative under the High Patronage of His Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco.
Peace and Sport uses sport as a tool to educate young generations and to help foster social stability, reconciliation and dialogue between communities.
To find out more about us, click here
Launched in 2009 by Peace and Sport, the Champions for Peace club is a group of the most respected athletes in the world who support the cause of Peace and Sport.
The initiative offers them a structure for communal expression and action to support sports projects at the service of peace and human and social development.
To find out more about the Champions for Peace, click here
The 25 participants running under Peace and Sport’s colours will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be coached by 3 running legends to make this a totally unique experience.
The 3 Champions for Peace who are coaching Team Peace and Sport at the 2012 New York Marathon are:
- Paula Radcliffe (UK): Marathon World Record Holder (2h15mins25s), triple winner of the New York Marathon, 2005 World Champion.
- Tegla Loroupe (Kenya): First African woman to win the New York marathon in 1994, and back to back winner in 1995, former Marathon World Record holder (2h20min43s), Triple World Champion of semi marathon. Multiple World Record Holder (20km, 25km, 30km).
- Wilson Kipketer (Denmark): Triple World Champion of 800m (1995, 1997, 1999), Silver medallist in the 2000 Sydney Olympics and World Record Holder for 13 years (1997 --- 2010).
The funds raised prior to the NY Marathon will be entirely dedicated to implementing peace promotion through sport projects in countries where Peace and Sport operates.
Peace and Sport has field operations on 3 continents and in 7 countries (Burundi, East Timor, Palestine/Israel, Haiti, Colombia,Ivory Coast and Democratic Republic of Congo).
The money raised during the New York Marathon will be used to:
- Empower our network of local partners: NGOs, athletes, sport educators and community leaders and help them to develop sustainable programs
- Buy sports equipment
- Organize sports activities
- Introduce socio-educational activities
Runners will be able to VOTE and DECIDE which project the money they raise is allocated to out of all of our different projects
To run under the Peace and Sport colours, first of all you commit to the following:
- To raise a minimum of $3,600 (or €2,500 or £2,200) through your own means. The full amount must be raised by October 19, 2011 or your race entry will be withheld with no exception.
- To represent the values of Peace and Sport during your training and your fundraising activities.
- To provide credit card information as a personal guarantee. Your card will only be debited the balance due if you have not raised the required $3,600 (or €2 500 or £2 200).
With 25 runners participating, and each collecting a minimum of $3,600 (or €2,500 or £2,200) we can raise $82 500 (€62 500) which will make a HUGE impact in the field
In addition to a secured entry to run in the 2012 ING New York Marathon we have put together a package that will make your experience simply UNFORGETTABLE!!!!
- Guaranteed race entry (value $550) + inscription fees (value $290)
- Dedicated training program with 3 Peace and Sport Champions for Peace starting 4 months prior to the event:
- Wilson Kipketer: Mental preparation
- Tegla Loroupe: Diet and running preparation
- Paula Radcliffe: Physical preparation.
- Your personal login to the Peace and Sport New York Marathon blog to share your experience with your friends and co-runners.
- Fundraising page on our website with permanent one-on-one support from Peace and Sport.
- Peace and Sport running jersey + cap.
- An exclusive 2-hour training session in Central Park on the eve of the Marathon.
- Ticket to the pasta party with NYRR.
- A Peace and Sport certificate signed by the 3 Champions and Joel Bouzou, President and founder
We are more than happy to accept runners who have secured their entries for the marathon and who would like to be part of Team Peace and Sport and raise funds for our cause.
If this is your case, you need to raise a minimum $1000 to be part of our Team.